Knowing what exactly to keep in your guard bag can be a challenging thing to do. We’re going to try and help you decide what you need. Some of these can be just for fall or winter, some are necessities, and some are just suggestions for those of you who over pack (like me).
First you need an actual bag to put everything in. This also depends on how much stuff you will be keeping in your bag. For someone who does not have a lot of stuff I would use a regular drawstring bag, for the average person I would say to use a regular backpack, and for those who like to be prepared I recommend a duffle bag. I, personally, love my Vera Bradley Weekender. This bag is the perfect size to keep all of my stuff in!
There are some items you need to bring with you to a competition that will be specific to your team or show so don’t forget to include those when packing!
- Show Makeup
- Hair Spray
- Makeup Wipes
- Band Aids
- Water Bottle
- Guard/Electrical Tape
- Advil (if you are allowed to, check with your coach if you’re still in high school)
- Hair Ties & Bobby Pins
- Phone Charger
- Change of clothes
- Straightener/Curling Iron (depending on your show hair)
- Extra money
And of course make sure you keep with you your uniform and any hair accessories, under garments, etc. that you need to complete your uniform. Now let’s talk about some items that you may not necessarily need but might come in handy during a competition.
- Medical Tape
- Ankle/Wrist/Knee Brace (if you need one)
- Extension cord (so more people can use the limited outlets)
- Cough Drops
- Nail File/Clippers
- Nail Polish Remover
- Flip Flops (for winterguard to wear around inside the competition)
- Fuzzy socks (for the ride home)
- Pillow pet/blanket (for the competitions that end late and are far away)
- Homework (to “do” on the rides)
These are all the items that I keep in my guard bag! Hopefully this helps you know what to pack in the future!
Written by Rachel Moditz